Self Introduction Letter

Subject: Self Introduction of Pey Jamie

Dear Professor Brad, 

I am Pey Jamie from T3 of your Effective Communications Module at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and I am writing to tell you more about myself and share the goals that I would like to achieve at the end of this module. 

I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Biomedical Engineering in 2021. My interest in engineering heightened during my internship in polytechnic where I was once given a task to assemble exercise equipment which was fun and it made me curious to explore more in other areas of engineering. Mechanical engineering seemed like the best and safest choice for me as there are many different pathways I could choose from when I graduate, even if I would like to get back into Biomedical engineering in the future.

One of my strengths in communication is that I am able to present infront of a group of people as I had experience in leading the school for the national anthem during morning assembly in secondary school. Another strength I have in communication is that I enjoy talking to people I don't know especially at work when someone new joins, I will always take the initiative to get to know them and make them feel welcome. 

One of my weaknesses in communication is that I tend to stutter and panic when I could not remember the script which led me to speak even faster when I'm presenting. From my previous experience, I tend to feel lost when I glance at the slides but could not find which point I was supposed to talk about and it caused me to make mistakes like pausing halfway, panicking, and speaking fast. 

The two goals that I would like to achieve in this module are to be able to speak fluently during presentations and do better in writing reports and letters by applying what I have learned and will be learning in your classes.

I feel that I am unique in the way that I can constantly stay positive and spread positivity to those around me even when I'm facing tough situations. I like to believe that there will always be a balance of good and bad so even if I had a bad day, I will stay positive and look forward to better days to come. 

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learning more from you.

Sincerely,

Jamie



Comments

  1. Hello Jamie! It is good to know that you have a very positive mindset despite the workload we are currently undertaking. Your sentence structures are well constructed and you explained every point clearly. However, in your 3rd paragraph, "welcome" should be "welcomed" instead and for your 5th paragraph, "writing reports" should be "written reports". Other than that, your letter is clear and concise, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie, thank you for your letter! I am glad to know more about you through this letter. It is nice that you had experience speaking in front of crowds and I believe that will strongly contribute to your communication skills.
    Your letter is clear and you can get your messages across. Aside from that, I have noticed a minor spelling error in your letter. The word, "infront" in paragraph 3 should be "in front".
    I had fun reading your letter and let's work hard together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jamie! Thank you for taking time to write this letter! I see that you've covered all the necessary points and overall, it is a good self-introduction letter. I appreciate the fact that you've mentioned both your strengths and weaknesses in this letter and it was very easy for me to understand you. However, in your second paragraph, I feel like you can alter "Biomedical engineering", I feel like it should be either "Biomedical Engineering " (since it is the name of your diploma) or "biomedical engineering".

    Aside from that, I love how positive you are no matter what situation you are in. It has been a joy having you around in class and your positivity spreads to those people close to you. I look forward to work together with you in class, see you soon !



    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jamie,

    Thank you for this richly detailed letter. It's clear, fairly succinct and informative. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment brief as you detail your educational background and experience in poly and in your internship, connecting your interests and study choice with your development of communication and engineering skills and your goals. It's also enriching for us readers to learn some of the specifics of your experience, for example, about your role leading your sec school in singing the national anthem and the fact that thanks to this experience, you feel confident speaking in front of others.

    One area that I would like you to refine in this letter is the use of transitional phrases between paragraphs. If you use a phrase such as "In terms of communication skills, one of my weaknesses is...." then the move from the previous topic discussion doesn't seem so abrupt.

    This letter is quite fluent generally, though there are a couple other language issues to take note of:

    1. overuse of caps
    -- Effective Communications Module > ?
    -- ...back into Biomedical engineering in the future. > ?

    2. sentence structure
    -- Another strength I have in communication is that I enjoy talking to people I don't know especially at work when someone new joins, I will always take the initiative to get to know them and make them feel welcome. > (comma splice) ?

    3. verbs
    -- One of my weaknesses in communication is that I tend to stutter and panic when I could not remember the script which led me to speak even faster when I'm presenting. > (tense inconsistency)
    One of my weaknesses in communication is that I tend to stutter and panic when I can not remember the script, which leads me to speak even faster when I'm presenting.

    -- I tend to feel lost when I glance at the slides but could not find which point I was supposed to talk about and it caused me to make mistakes like pausing halfway, panicking, and speaking fast. > ?

    Mentioning these points should not eclipse the high quality of the effort you've made in this assignment. I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Draft #1

Critical Reflection